 Off-Topic / Debate / 6245
  Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

Yes, Yes... That hunting/eating/cockfighting thread is huge and hard to navigate. However Dave Schuler said this: " If you can produce an animal that generally demonstrates free will, I won't eat it. " which I think is the crux. I've been watching (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) I'll agree-- I've been quietly lurking around the past few weeks ANYWAY, but this debate has certainly intreuged me... Just got a bit much to wade through... From the outset, I'll give my general feeling... I don't mind eating animals. (...) (24 years ago, 1-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) Yup, sorry. It has basically imploded due to the weight and complexity. (...) OK, I happen to disagree...maybe...but I'll play along. (...) I have been frustrated, but didn't think I was hostile. If I'm wrong, I apologize to the victim(s). (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) I think it the freedom to exert some control over how you biochemically react to stimuli. The opposite is to assume we're part of a complex chemical reaction racing forward into the future and what we do, as a product of that reaction, doesn't (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) I'd certainly go for the latter... However, I don't think that either gains any sort of advantage nor affords any loss. That is, unless you take up the sadly pessimistic view that "nothing I do matters", and turn into a lazy couch potato as a (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) I'd have to agree with the majority - it's arrogant as hell to call meat eaters evil just because you think we don't have to do it. I assert we DO have to, our bodies work better metabolically with meat in the diet. And I DO have to eat meat (...) (24 years ago, 5-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) Taking this tack, why the heck would it matter if you ate meat or not, and why would eating meat be evil, if nothing we do matters to the total reaction? (...) It is, though "generally", there are some "universal" morals that "most" humans (...) (24 years ago, 5-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) eaters (...) It's not think...it's know. And I can live with that. (...) I think that is foolish and unrealistic. (...) Our, who? Not mine. I lost weight, gained muscle, seemed to improve my immunodefense and became generally more healthy. I (...) (24 years ago, 5-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) react (...) Well, that's a perfect example of why I don't take that tack. Even if it's true, we don't gain by accepting no free will. And if it's wrong, we lose a _huge_ amount (like everything that humanity is) by assuming the contrary (...) (24 years ago, 5-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?

(...) I personally think our bodies NEED many trace elements and proteins in meat that just aren't in soy and other beans. I would rather risk cancer from seared meat than risk a lifetime of depletion of trace elements that MAY affect my memory (and (...) (24 years ago, 5-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)