 Off-Topic / Debate / 6274
Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 20:34:35 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

I'd have to agree with the majority - it's arrogant as hell to call meat • eaters
evil just because you think we don't have to do it.

It's not think...it's know.  And I can live with that.

I assert we DO have to,

I think that is foolish and unrealistic.

I personally think our bodies NEED many trace elements and proteins in meat that
just aren't in soy and other beans.  I would rather risk cancer from seared meat
than risk a lifetime of depletion of trace elements that MAY affect my memory (and
who knows what else) later in life.

I also believe that if you don't enjoy life (as a general rule, as you look back on
it), there isn't much point in slogging through it.  So I'm going to eat meat
because I LIKE to, and I'm not going to go vegetarian because I DON'T like that
food fare as a complete regimen (while many veg dishes are quite good, I don't want
to ONLY eat them).

our bodies work better metabolically with meat in the diet.

Our, who?  Not mine.  I lost weight, gained muscle, seemed to improve my
immunodefense and became generally more healthy.  I would be quite keen to see
research supporting that.  I do admit that most of the stuff supporting my side
of the health issue is suspect because of the funding sources, but there are
some genuinely fair sources too.

And I DO have to eat meat in order to enjoy myself in life.

Geez.  I know you weren't looking for sympathy, but you have mine.  I'm glad
that my happiness isn't rooted to any one thing so strongly.  Especially
something so minor.  But I guess we are all different.

It's only one of many things I enjoy in life.  But I'm not going to have each small
enjoyment yanked away from me for one reason or another until the drudgery far
outweighs the enjoyments.

You go ahead and shovel tasteless grass into your mouth all your life,

No thank you.  I don't like anything tasteless.  But I do occasionally eat
popcorn with salt...that's about as boring as it gets.

I think you're evil for classifying "us meateaters" as evil.

Really?  That's neat.  What is the key ingredient in your "evil" that makes me
evil without hurting anyone?  I think this (various definitions of evil) could
be the interesting discussion to come out of this whole thread.  My definition
is firmly rooted in victimization, but I accept that this may not be shared by
all as the crux of the definition.

Chris

By the way, it seems that you in particular -- but a few others at least
potentially -- have taken this as some kind of personal attack.  Through this
entire thread, I have simply responded.  I never went out of my way to advocate
in any way.  You may note that I didn't start the thread(s).  I have strong
views, but I'm not pushy and I genuinely do get along with people who are
diametrically opposite in stance.  I'm sorry if that doesn't cut it for you.

I get along with lots of people in real life that I argue with all the time - not a
problem ;-)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/