 Off-Topic / Debate / 6265
Re: Are humans animals? Are humans MORE than animals?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 10:57:54 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

Yes, Yes...

That hunting/eating/cockfighting thread is huge and hard to navigate.

Yup, sorry.  It has basically imploded due to the weight and complexity.

However Dave Schuler said this:

" If you can produce an animal that generally demonstrates free will, I won't
eat it. "

which I think is the crux.

OK, I happen to disagree...maybe...but I'll play along.

I've been watching for a while and I sense some
thrashing and some hostility. Play nice, people!

I have been frustrated, but didn't think I was hostile.  If I'm wrong, I
apologize to the victim(s).  OTOH, I'm not sure how to tell you that you're
evil without getting on some peoples' nerves.  I used to breed and raise show
rats and was on a couple rat-themed mailing lists and tried to explain it to
them too.  It went something like this (and this isn't directed at anyone here
in particular):

You belive things that I disagree with.  Strongly.  So much, that I think your
actions are, to whatever extent this is meaningful, evil.  I understand that it
is because you were raised by wolves, and I don't fully fault you.  And, more
importantly, just because I think that you are grievously wrong, doesn't mean
that I can't get along with you in a civil conversation.  We might even be
friends in the real world.

Most people thought it was just arrogant.  But I got a couple who thought it
was interesting and thanked me, for whatever that's worth.  In any case, that
is the context in which my claims of righteousness should be taken.  I guess I
don't think that evil is as bad as most people do.

I'd have to agree with the majority - it's arrogant as hell to call meat eaters
evil just because you think we don't have to do it.  I assert we DO have to, our
bodies work better metabolically with meat in the diet.  And I DO have to eat meat
in order to enjoy myself in life.  You go ahead and shovel tasteless grass into
your mouth all your life, I think you're evil for classifying "us meateaters" as
evil.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/