 Off-Topic / Debate / 624
Re: Banana Wars.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:42:45 GMT

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 14:20:53 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following
profundities...

Richard Dee wrote:

Latest thing to be banned, Lego....

Ha ha ha. The US better knock off this protectionist crap. Can anyone

I do believe that the banana issue is irrelevant. The industries that
have been slapped with embargoes are designed to force the issue
on other matters. LME! The US and UK have been arguing for years
about the issue of "Open Skies" between the two (the right for any
carrier to fly from any city in one country to any city in the other).
It has been at a constant impasse, with both sides claiming the other
to be intransigent. Now, with the Scottish regional economy being
precarious, even at the best of times, the targeting of a few Scottish
industries by the banana row, adds a bargaining chip for the open skies
talks. "If you yield on this aspect of the bilateral, we can make
some inquiries with regards to Pringle Sweaters...."

No issue is *just* the one publicized. There is always something
collateral or parallel.......
Now, the EU is no angel on protectionism, but the way to fight trade
barriers is to not have any on your side. Then the other side takes the

I won't defend the EU on this issue (After all, we in the UK
are supposed to benefit from the removal of intra-European
trade barriers, yet we still pay ~50% more than other
Europeans for just about everything), but of interest as I
buy a hand of bananas every Monday....
The hand I purchased today is Del Monte, an American firm.
The ones purchased last Monday were from the Ivory Coast. Yes,
still a former colony (French), but not a former British
colony.
But as I had mentioned in another thread, specifically with
regards to the Silhouette agreement, protectionism exists
even amongst nations of the EU, let alone outside! Firms will
keep prices higher in say, the UK, in order to subsidise
cheaper prices in Germany (or wherever, specifics are irrelevant).
The EU government in Brussels, probably the most corrupt we
have ever seen, do however protect some foreign (non-EU)
interests....(Aircraft hush-kits not withstanding. You have
perhaps heard of that row? Hush kits for older aircraft
are to be banned to keep in line with noise restrictions.
Airbus aircraft don't need them, but...older Boeings, MD,
etc. require them to comply, but with those kits being
banned, won't be able to fly! This of course designed to
protect Airbus' future sales.....). Levis jeans being
one of the protected foreign companies, as well as some
Japanese automotive manufacturers (motorbikes specifically).
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/