 Off-Topic / Debate / 6213
Re: Dinosaur Color Scheme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:32:44 GMT

what recent species are you extrapolating from?

The biggest terrestic sauropsid species today is the Komodo Dragon......

And
of course, there are vibrantly colored examples of all of these; consider • the
Gila Monster and Arrow Frogs, for examples of each which can have • variations in
color across their bodies.

Yes, because it is a selective advantage for poisonous animals to let their
possible predators know that they are poisonous.... I don't think we have
any hints that Triceratops or Stegosaurus was a poisonous animal....

Obviously, mammals are the same way; all manner of
dogs, cats, zebras/horses, etc can have boldly contrasting areas on their • body,
and in many cases these are typical, not exceptions (and not just on the • fur -
shave a brindle greyhound, and you have a striped bald dog - the • coloration can
derive from the pigmentation of the skin beneath).

The body pattern of zebras is used as camouflage - somatolysis. Body
patterns of large predators (tigers, cats etc..) has the same effect so they
can approach their prey without being detected. Triceratops as well as
Stegosaurus were animals that had dangerous weapons - a different tactics to
cope with predators. I would rather compare a Triceratops with a rhino than
with a zebra...

Same with birds, fish,
insects ... Point is, there's no indication at *all*, eitehr way.  It's • all
conjecture.

True. However, if I'd decide whether to picture these animal unicoloured or
bicoloured, I'd go for the unicoloured ones. Right now I cannot think of a
single large elephant-sized animal that has orange legs and a grey body.
Isn't it more parsimonious to assume a uni-coloured animal?

On the other hand, the established theory is that birds evolve from • theropods.
Since some birds do have feet in orange, why not dinosaurs?

Because some birds have a selective advantage because of orange feet • (stir
up animals they feed on etc.). I cannot think of a selective advantage a
herbivore elephant-sized animal could have with orange feet....

Well, attracting a mate, for another example ... peacocks, for example. • To warn
off predators is another reason - many foul-tasting or poisonous • (poisonous to
eat, that is) animals can get away with being brightly colored  or having
brightly colored patches since they *want* to be recognized as not being • one of
their tasty brethren (caterpillars and frogs come to mind) - and predators • leave
them be, having learned that they are bad news.

Don't tell me Triceratops had a modified parotis that pumped poison into its
horns....
I am also not convinced by the story that the hole in the crest of some
Ceratopsids as Torosaurus was used as sexual display.... to me this is
nothing but storytelling.

Or it could just be that they
tended to coat their lower legs with a clay-like mud in order to deter • biting
insects, much the way pigs and hippos will - repeated applications could • dye the
skin.  There are lots of reasons why they might have developed brightly • colored
feet ...

Why only the lower legs? Animals who do this tend to cover their entire body
with clay... elephants, pigs, hippos.... not only their legs.

Though I'm not saying they did.  And I personally don't really dig the
appearance of the brightly colored LEGO-dino legs ... but I took umbrage • to the
authoratitive claims ;)

Maybe I just cannot stand the combination of orange (or whatever this new
colour is named) and grey.....

Arnold