 Adventurers / 1040
Re: Dinosaur Color Scheme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:14:21 GMT

brickhead wrote:

There is no indication at all that a Triceratops or Stegosaurus would have
had differently coloured legs. Extrapolating from recent species it is most
likely that they were unicoloured.

just because I'm feeling combatative, I figured I'd challenge you on this ...
what recent species are you extrapolating from?  Many many reptiles and
amphibians display massive variation in their coloration: lizards tend to have
lighter underbellies and, and in some this extends to their legs as well.  And
of course, there are vibrantly colored examples of all of these; consider the
Gila Monster and Arrow Frogs, for examples of each which can have variations in
color across their bodies.  Obviously, mammals are the same way; all manner of
dogs, cats, zebras/horses, etc can have boldly contrasting areas on their body,
and in many cases these are typical, not exceptions (and not just on the fur -
shave a brindle greyhound, and you have a striped bald dog - the coloration can
derive from the pigmentation of the skin beneath).  Same with birds, fish,
insects ... Point is, there's no indication at *all*, eitehr way.  It's all
conjecture.

On the other hand, the established theory is that birds evolve from • theropods.
Since some birds do have feet in orange, why not dinosaurs?

Because some birds have a selective advantage because of orange feet (stir
up animals they feed on etc.). I cannot think of a selective advantage a
herbivore elephant-sized animal could have with orange feet....

Well, attracting a mate, for another example ... peacocks, for example.  To warn
off predators is another reason - many foul-tasting or poisonous (poisonous to
eat, that is) animals can get away with being brightly colored  or having
brightly colored patches since they *want* to be recognized as not being one of
their tasty brethren (caterpillars and frogs come to mind) - and predators leave
them be, having learned that they are bad news.  Or it could just be that they
tended to coat their lower legs with a clay-like mud in order to deter biting
insects, much the way pigs and hippos will - repeated applications could dye the
skin.  There are lots of reasons why they might have developed brightly colored
feet ...

Though I'm not saying they did.  And I personally don't really dig the
appearance of the brightly colored LEGO-dino legs ... but I took umbrage to the
aurthoratitive claims ;)

for good or for bad, I remain ...
-s

FUT .off-topic.debate