 Off-Topic / Debate / 6212
Re: How big is to big?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:19:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Herzberg
The European consortium is expected to decide in the next year whether to
build the super-jumbo A3XX, with a first delivery possible in 2005.

I don't think Airbus will decide against it. They really want to go through
with this, the only possible problem they face is rejection from thier biggest
(I think) shareholder, DaimlerChrysler, which owns about 30% of Airbus.
Apparently, they already have some airlines lined up for it, however, none are
American. As more and more people travel by air, this plane can really help
everyone one out. In ten years, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, JFK, and Chicago,
which will then be America's five largest in terms of passengers, are, in
total expected to move more than 400 million people. Atlanta, Chicago, and
Dallas are currently the top three and are fairly well poised to handle thier
growth. Miami, which serves more airlines than any other airport in the world,
minus Frankfurt, is currently undergoing a $5.4 billion expansion which will
include a huge new 58 gate American Airlines hub and a new hubs for United
Airlines, El Al, British Airways, LanChilie, SwissAir, and many other European
and Latin airlines. Construction actually started in 1996, but it is being
built over the existing one. New York's JFK is also undergoing a huge
expansion which is well under way as well to help handle more passengers and
airlines. Even Anchorage International Airport is undergoing a huge
rennovation to serve more flights. Just a note Detroit's metro airport is
getting a new $1.2 billon 99 gate terminal for northwest