 Off-Topic / Debate / 6102
Re: How big is to big?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 02:18:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erin Windross writes:

inspired Airbus to consider building a new plane that's even bigger than
Boeing's jumbo jet, the 747. The super-jumbo A3XX would seat up to 555
passengers, a third again as many as the 747.

Cool!

Chris Bowers of United sass "It makes no sense to build an airplane
with 600 passengers...We do think we can have bigger aircraft...in
limited quantities."

I snipped this a bit, but I think this pseudo-quote is true to the intent. • So,
he's saying they're stupid and that they'll be buying some in the same breath,
right?  What's wrong with this picture?

He's a corporate flack? :-)

Seriously, bigger planes do mean some changes required at the gates to
load/unload but also, since the number of slots is fixed unless you build more
runways and since runways cost a lot more to build than double decker gate
bridges, bigger planes mean more capacity, which is a good thing if the demand
is there. That's the point you make somewhat later in your post but it bears
restating.

Richard Branson, chairman of London-based Virgin Atlantic Airways, says it's
not quantity but quality that counts. "We pamper our passengers like no
airline pampers them."

Cool, so they can buy these new big whoppers and give me a little extra space
(like 27 cubic meters).

"We're introducing separate rooms with double beds in all of our planes so
people can actually go with their partner and have a proper night's sleep."

I bet those tickets are cheap!

Virgin planes have personal video monitors at every seat, a standup bar,
manicures and massages. And there's more to come, Branson says.

Wow.  Can you get...nevermind.

Sadly, Virgin has exited the condom business, per an article in the most
recent but one Fortune magazine on the world's working billionaires (Branson
being the top or among the top from the UK).

It seems the marketeers were having some trouble with slogans. :-)

As an aside, remember, planes are way safer than autos on a per passenger mile
basis. It's just that when they crash, it's news round the world. Ma and Pa
Jones buying it in a fiery crash on the NJ turnpike doesn't typically make
headlines in Essex UK, just Essex NJ.

++Lar