 Off-Topic / Debate / 6173
  Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))

(...) Oh, I REALLY doubt that. Vat-grown meat could be tailored with a specific fat content, and be basically ready to eat right out of the vat - the cutting into "steaks" could be roboticized (or the meat could be grown in "steak" shaped chunks, or (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))

(...) all (...) it (...) chunks, (...) thicknesses to (...) farmers (...) You're right Tom, we sure would. I'm from Iowa, and 18. Although my family doesn't raise cattle, it IS one of the main sources of income for this entire state. Three things: (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))

(...) I understand your points about the agricultural economy, and I understand about the aesthetic differences, but I think you have the disease equation bass-ackwards. In a lab, the meat could be kept 99.999% disease-free. Beef that's released (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry PotterLego Line))

Not to mention the economies would just shift to compensate - nothing says the beef would all be grown in labs out of the control of farmers. Smarter farmers would create collectives and invest in the technology, with each farmer getting a share. (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))

(...) It doesn't sound like you're a middleman from your description. (...) So? Which members of society is it that you imagine to owe you a living? You, and all people, can change with the times or be left behind. We have VMS admins at work who are (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)