 Off-Topic / Debate / 5799
5798  |  5800
Subject:
Buyer warnings (was: Re: BRICKYARD WARNING)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 21:53:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
We also should not judge the buyers. I always see these "LEGO is not your
daily bread" responses. While that is hopefully true for most of us, I'm sure
many of us have pretty tight budgets (and some of us make humongous purchases,
would you fault Larry for complaining if a multi-thousand dollar purchase
seemed to be lost?) and may feel the pain of losing a purchase. We should
never assume "Oh, he can get over that $5 loss, after all, it only takes 5
minutes to make that." (of course it takes a little longer than 5 minutes to
make that at McDonalds, and for a kid spending his allowance, that may be a
significant part of his weeks allowance).

While I agree more than you think (it takes me an hour to make $5, and I only
get a chance to work three hours a week, normally) - asking about an
auction/sale/trade in a public forum like lugnet or RTL before emailing the
seller can cause a large amount of trouble.
I don't want to mention names, but I recall at least 3 times off the top of my
head in which the items arrived a few days/hours after the buyer
announced "beware of ___". Or other cases in which the seller had a perfectly
good reason for the delay (e.g. death in the family).

IMHO, and as a buyer/trader most of the time, not seller, I think that it's
only appropriate to wait at least one week after the estimated time that the
package should've arrived until getting really worried. And first try to email
the seller, before posting in lugnet/RTL...

just my $.02 - well earned

-Shiri