 Off-Topic / Debate / 5612
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 14:22:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
Myself I'm on the "it's part of the cyclical nature of climate" side of the
fence, I tend to suspect that we're still in the "emerging from the little • Ice
Age" temperature upswing.

++Lar

Does it matter why? There is a global warming going in as we speak. There is • a
very fair chance that in a few years, the icecaps will melt and all the major
coast cities (NYC, Boston, LA, SF, need I continue?) will be flooded.

Oh please. Do the math. To me, "flooding" means a change in sea level of 20
feet or so. That's not going to happen. There isn't enough ice even if both
icecaps melted down to nothing.

Au Contraire:

"If larger ice sheets begin to recede, sea level could rise rapidly and
dramatically. The most vulnerable ice sheet is the marine-based West Antarctic
Ice Sheet which contains enough water locked up as ice to raise global
sea-level ~ 5 - 6 meters."

This is quoted from the USGS page Chris Tracey posted.  Now, I don't agree with
Shiri that this could happen in a matter of years, but if we don't try to curb
what we put in the atmosphere, it could easily happen in another 50-100 years,
IMO.  I do believe the earth is currently in a natural warming trend; however,
I also believe we have sped this process up.

I'll give Chris's words some credence but you're just scaremongering, try not
to believe everything you read.

I'd like to hear where you read there wasn't enough ice in the caps to raise
the sea level much.  I saw a report (on the Discovery channel, I believe) that
at one point, millions of years ago, the sea level was a couple *hundred* feet
higher, due to the fact that there were no ice caps.

Jeff