 Off-Topic / Debate / 5613
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 15:06:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
Myself I'm on the "it's part of the cyclical nature of climate" side of the
fence, I tend to suspect that we're still in the "emerging from the little • Ice
Age" temperature upswing.

++Lar

Does it matter why? There is a global warming going in as we speak. There is • a
very fair chance that in a few years, the icecaps will melt and all the major
coast cities (NYC, Boston, LA, SF, need I continue?) will be flooded.

Oh please. Do the math. To me, "flooding" means a change in sea level of 20
feet or so. That's not going to happen. There isn't enough ice even if both
icecaps melted down to nothing.

Half or so of Australia was under water at one point.  Admittedly, Australia is
pretty darn flat.  I'd also be pretty nervous about the long-term land prices
in Florida.  The geologic record is pretty clear that major flooding happens.

The apocalyptic visions of the gloom and doom crowd are not going to come to
pass. Relatively minor shifts in temperature or in sea level DO lead to
dramatic changes elsewhere but we are not going to see palm trees in
Yellowknife any time soon.

It depends on the rate that it happens.  If it happens over several millenia,
it's so gradual that we don't notice it unless we keep records for a long time.
If it happens in just a few generations, it would have a dramatic impact.

And yes, it DOES matter why. It matters a lot. Because if we decide not to • care
why, and decide that we have to stop using carbon fuels, but actually it is a
climate shift that we are not having any impact on with our use of fuels, • we've
given up on an industrial society for nothing.

No, but it might mean we need to rethink our current habits and search out
alternatives before it reaches a crisis.

I'll give Chris's words some credence but you're just scaremongering, try not
to believe everything you read.

++Lar

There are those that scaremonger.  I'm of the opinion that there is no
definitive answer yet, but neither is it something that should be dismissed out
of hand.

Bruce