 Off-Topic / Debate / 5610
  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) I'm sorry, Ed, but I graduated from high school in 1988, that's 12 years ago. We knew then, in what you would probably call a backwater southern city (Nashville), that unprotected sex could end up killing you. So, imo and in my experience, (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) I am genuinely curious: How can you be so sure that everyone in the world knows about this? Have you seen a report that stated every school district in the world teaches safe sex? And even if they do, what about private/religious schools, or (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) We're veering around, I think Mike and Ed and I are sparring about the US, where it's pretty hard to ignore the truth about how to catch it at this point, it being common knowledge. There may be remote parts of the world that haven't figured (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) I could just say something like "so, I don't care about people in the other parts of the world." But that would make me heartless. Let me revise what I said to be limited to those in the US. I'd wager that even those in the US going to (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) I would go one step further. Venereal diseases have been around (and have been known about) for a lot longer than AIDS has been on the scene. Most are curable, some are not, and not all are limited in transmission to sexual contact. My point (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) I've said that before, you could look it up. It's not exactly a quote as I believe the quote is more along the lines of: 'Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"' (NIV (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Unless you just read it for the "articles". Sarcasm, Larry. I was being sarcastic, hence the winking smiley after the statement. You could be no more religious than I could be an American. Can I surmise that the rest of my post was so (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) While I sort of agree with the general thrust here, there are two problems I can see - Most other STD have short incubation periods and obvious symptoms. SO one could have, in 1984, beleived oneself to be completely disease free and thus told (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) True, but there are still inherent risks with unprotected sex (including a dishonest partner "sure, honey, I'm clean"), and unless you're prepared to accept the responsibilities, wrap it up or put it away. (...) My point exactly, it's just (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)