 Off-Topic / Debate / 5676
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 05:02:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
Lar said
... and we are not our brother's keeper, ...

Quoting the Bible, Lar?? Getting religious?? ;-)

I've said that before, you could look it up. It's not exactly a quote as I
believe the quote is more along the lines of:

'Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he
replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"' (NIV Gen. 4:9)

and God answers in the affirmative.

So I'd say clearly that since I am denying what God said to be true, it's most
definitely not a quote, although it's certainly an allusion.

It's been a while since I've read Genesis so I went and dug that up on the
web, here specifically:

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible

Note that NIV is not my favorite version, I prefer King James, but it's
certainly more accessible to the modern reader who doesn't want to struggle
with old forms. And it's what I found first. Wouldn't want to put TOO much
time into it.

By the way, the fact that I've read Das Kapital does not make me a Marxist,
nor does the fact that I've read Samuelson's macroeconomics text make me a
Keynesian... :-) Although the fact that I've read Playboy makes me a hounddog
I guess.

Unless you just read it for the "articles".

Sarcasm, Larry. I was being sarcastic, hence the winking smiley after the
statement. You could be no more religious than I could be an American.

Can I surmise that the rest of my post was so unprofound that you only
responded to the last sentence?

Pete Callaway