 Off-Topic / Debate / 5675
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 04:39:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
Lar said
... and we are not our brother's keeper, ...

Quoting the Bible, Lar?? Getting religious?? ;-)

I've said that before, you could look it up. It's not exactly a quote as I
believe the quote is more along the lines of:

'Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he
replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"' (NIV Gen. 4:9)

and God answers in the affirmative.

So I'd say clearly that since I am denying what God said to be true, it's most
definitely not a quote, although it's certainly an allusion.

It's been a while since I've read Genesis so I went and dug that up on the web,
here specifically:

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible

Note that NIV is not my favorite version, I prefer King James, but it's
certainly more accessible to the modern reader who doesn't want to struggle
with old forms. And it's what I found first. Wouldn't want to put TOO much time
into it.

By the way, the fact that I've read Das Kapital does not make me a Marxist, nor
does the fact that I've read Samuelson's macroeconomics text make me a
Keynesian... :-) Although the fact that I've read Playboy makes me a hounddog I
guess.

++Lar