 Off-Topic / Debate / 5521
Re: Murderer Reno's real crime...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 02:01:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

I'm not sure what's your point here?

Apologies for repetition, here are my views:

- There is no such thing as a natural monopoly. All true monopolies are a
result of government interference that raise barriers to entry. Get rid of
barriers to entry and you won't have monopolies. Time Warner, for instance,
isn't going to be lobbying for making cable access any easier any time soon,
nor is Disney going to be lobbying for easing restrictions on who can get
broadcast licenses. They love their nice legal protection rackets.

- MS on the other hand hasn't stopped anyone from coming up with different
OS's, browsers, app software or anything else. They're just better (for now,
Linux is gaining fast in the server market) at building them.

- The antitrust laws are morally wrong, vague and impossible to apply fairly,
they have been ever since they were enacted. EVERY time they have been used
against a big company at the peak of its prowess (US Steel, Standard Oil, the
Harriman rail lines, IBM, ATT and now MS) huge amounts of money have been
spent, fortunes wrecked and companies destroyed for no benefit. Every time,
consumers have bene worse off as a result of it. Further, in every case, the
tide would have turned against the company that had the bulk of the market
anyway once technology changed.

- Therefore they're used as a bludgeon to go after whoever the government
chooses to at the time for whatever political agenda is being promoted. They
should be erased off the books because they are just a tool for politicians to
cause trouble. Or at least not enforced like 10,000,000 other silly laws which
fortunately are less damaging.

- Microsoft is not a monopoly, merely has a large share of the market. Which it
earned fair and square, in the process making the world a much better place.

- Microsoft may not be my favorite company, but hasn't done anything actually
*wrong*, it merely got entrapped by laws that are wrong in the first place and
certainly especially wrong when applied to one of the engines of our economy
that has created an inordinate amount of wealth for some very deserving people.
(like me for one)  (Arguably MS is more responsible for the growth of the
internet than anyone else because Windows (although not as easy to use as the
Mac OS, which would be much more popular if not for Apple arrogance) is easy to
use and is everywhere)

- The government in its haste to loot MS (and the coincidentally at almost the
same time looting of the gene sequencers by saying that their work had to go
into the public domain) may well kill off our nice boom, the longest expansion
ever, started by Reagan and his free market policies. For what? Because Bill
didn't give enough to the Democratic party in protection money?

The rape of MS may not be Reno's bloodiest crime, but it's her biggest.

++Lar