 Off-Topic / Debate / 5513
Re: Bill Gates' real crime...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 17:49:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

It seemed to me a pretty clear-cut case of monopolistic practices. • Investors
big and small should have seen this coming miles away.  Microsoft even got a
previous wake up call, dodged the bullet on penalties, and proceeded to • behave
as arrogantly as humanly possible.  Pride goes before the fall.  Idunno, I • just
can't see this as the Justice Department's fault - Microsoft pretty much had
neon signs flashing "Monpolistic tactics - Watchya gonna do about it?"

While MS may have had some anti-competitive practices, I haven't seen
anything which justifies a breakup. Some thoughts of mine on some of the
issues which have been raised:

- MS billing vendors for a copy of Windows for every machine sold: Do
you know how many vendors have sold computers with Windows installed on
them, but didn't bother to sell a copy of Windows to the customer? When
I bought my first Windows 3.x capable PC, Windows was pre-installed. I
happened to have a legitimate purchase because I also purchased a mouse
which happened to come with a free copy of Windows. At least when I
bought used laptops for myself and my mother, each one came with a
shrink wrapped license agreement (though I am suspicious that whoever
the laptops came from didn't keep track of their licenses, but that's
mostly their problem).

Two wrongs make a right?  And I see lots of systems at my job that have unix,
not windows.

I do think that MS has done some bad things, but I'd like to see
sanctions which specifically targetted those things, rather than a
shotgun approach. Do you want the court telling you what innovations are
appropriate to integrate into an operating system?

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

I really don't want to sit and enumerate all of Microsoft's trangressions.
It's a big, sprawling, complex issue but anyone interested can find out
about them in news articles easily enough.  You don't even begin to scratch the
surface is all I'll note here.

Bruce