 Off-Topic / Debate / 5321
5320  |  5322
Subject:
Following up oneself (Was: Re: Is LEGO safe in Fish Tanks? (Safe for the fish))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:56:59 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Todd Lehman writes:

I've seen people say things similar to that before

[ie, "sorry to follow myself up]

but I've never understood
what has led to them feel that way.  I don't think there's any such stigma
here (there shouldn't be!) about replying to one's own post.  (Maybe there
is out on Usenet?)

There is on Usenet.  I'm not sure exactly where it comes from, but it is bad
nettiquette.  I *think* it's to prevent one person from keeping a thread alive
when no one else cares.

At any rate, I have seen people flame each other for doing it, but only rarely
if the "violator" either answers his own question or somehow corrects his

I know that whenever I do it I give a nod to nettiquette and acknowledge that
I'm breaking it, even with a good reason.

eric