 FAQ / 866
Re: Is LEGO safe in Fish Tanks? (Safe for the fish)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:01:26 GMT

Dean Husby wrote:

This is something I've wanted to do for awhile now. We just bought a
33galuon fish tank and now have the room for some very cool ideas.

Is LEGO safe for fish tanks? Will putting LEGO in the tank have any
effects on the fish? Does the plastic leach anything into the water?

We are not concerned about the lego itself. It's just standard old
bricks and some divers sets we have pieces of.

This is a follow up to my original post. I know it's bad form to reply
to one's own post but I think this one works as an exception.

We called TLG on the above question and after some discussions and a
call back 'Brian' at Lego stated that the lego is safe for fish tanks.
It is a hard plastic and therefor does not contain any or very few of
the substances to keep plastic soft. (To be safe we are not putting in
any soft lego items in our tank)

It seems that when the divers line came out they were flooded with calls
regarding it's safety with fish tanks and at that time they did tests to
see if it was ok. They haven't had any complaints.

So there you are.

Soon even our fish will play with lego.

Dean
--