 Off-Topic / Debate / 5113
  Re: Wench as a word

Selçuk, (...) Well, sir, when you exhibit classical signs of leftism, I will cal you a leftist. IF you don't like Gulliani, fine, but calling him a Nazi is typical liberal / Democratic rhetoric. If a call Al Sharpton a racist, then I am at fault, (...) (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) Note that I think Scott is speaking in the abstract here, he's not accusing Sel of being leftist per se. (...) NO WAY! You can only be a racist if you're a male WASP. Everyone else is part of the oppressed, and therefore, by definition, can't (...) (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

Larry, (...) I am. Just got a little steamed under the collar. (...) According to liberal thinking, yes! (...) diversity. I guess I better get reprogrammed into compliance with liberal / diversity thinking. Scott S. (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) part (...) I can't recall a single liberal in my acquaintance that thinks this way. Yes, you will run into this line of reasoning in some black studies courses, but I don't think you will find too many people who buy into it. Bruce (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) Trying to be seen as a leftist, may be, but I'm not sure about the possibility of being a "leftist" and "1st lady of USA" at the same time. Anyway, it was not the point. Your attitude about this subject (continuously ranting about "leftists" (...) (24 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) Outside of academia. See, most of the people you and I know are fairly reasonable, fairly rational (not perfect, mind you)... we both presumably know mostly normal mainstream people. But in the bastions of orthodoxy where this stuff emanates, (...) (24 years ago, 25-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) Sel (...) part (...) Not true even among liberal thinkers. Anyone of any race can be racist. He/She only has to believe one race to be superior to the others. (...) racism, (...) deserve (...) word (...) I think you all are hoping there are no (...) (24 years ago, 25-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) Not true, even *in* academia. Certainly not among any of the African Studies people I know, and I'm in just such a supposed "bastion of orthodoxy." The people who deny racism can exist among minorities make an easy foil, but they're far rarer (...) (24 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

Gloria, (...) I think what Larry was saying here is when Al Sharpton called lynching on a Korean run grocery store in New York. I don't think anyone here is advocating lynching anyone, except for the types like Al Sharpton and perhaps James (...) (24 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) right? (...) I know about the unrest between Korean storeowners and African-Americans. What I was trying to get at is that if one uses slang like "whitey" and states that only whites can be racist (not true) then one does need some sensitvity (...) (24 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) I believe Larry was using sarcasm to illustrate that very point. Bill (24 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wench as a word

(...) You are correct, sir! ++Lar (24 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)