 Off-Topic / Debate / 4789
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 02:16:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Karim Nassar writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Karim Nassar writes:

I'm not just generalizing randomly here... every person I know who
is Christian has at some point made a point of trying to steer me towards
conversion... even when I tell them before hand that I am not interested).

Hmm.  When's the last time Sproat tried to convert you?

I haven't ever tried to convert Karim.

Wow, James... :) In my entire very carefully worded post, you've managed to
pick out the one exageration... but an unintentional one.  Perhaps what I
should have said is: "every person I have known personally and interacted with
regularly on a personal basis who is actively Christian has at some point made
a point of trying to steer me towards conversion." [now, I *think* that
statement plugs all the loopholes :) ]

:)  Fair enough.  I've never (to my knowledge!) attempted to convert anyone
without them having opened the topic, and I've certainly never told someone I
know what's best for them.  I would consider myself strongly christian, but I
also strongly hold the view that your soul isn't any of my business.

Where I do take offense is in the realm of religious groups infringing on my
freedoms and those of my children. The fact that the Religious Right is
gradually succeeding in removing real science from and re-writing the
curriculum of public schools in America is personally terrifying to me.  It
should be to all of you.  When I have children I fully intend to homeschool
them, because I don't want their minds twisted by the so-called "education"
that is becoming prevailent in public schools in this region of the country.

Neat (in a twisted, bad kind of way).  I would fight against that too.  Public
schools aren't the place to push religion.  I can't speak for other areas of
Canada, but we don't have that problem in Alberta.  If anything, it goes the
other way - about a decade or so ago, there was a mild guffuffle because a
student was told he wasn't allowed to have a cross in his locker, due to it
being a public school.  I guess a fair amount of that gets deflected up here
because we have a seperate (Catholic) school system(1).

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.

1:Yes Larry, that's publicly funded as well, but people can explicitly indicate
on their tax forms which system they are supporting.  Theoretically, one system
or the other could get no tax dollars.  Most people however, supporting my
cynical apathy of life theory, don't fill it out and their tax dollars get
split between the systems (75 public, 25 seperate? can't recall the numbers
precisely, but it's something like that).