 Off-Topic / Debate / 4790
4789  |  4791
Subject:
Intolerance and property rights
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 02:17:15 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38C99133.A47A4F64@voyager.net>...
Only intolerance acted upon in a way that suppresses rights. We even
tolerate someone discrminiating who he will sell scissors to because he
only likes right handed people and can't tolerate lefties, as long as
there are no governmental barriers to entry to the scissors market.

I'm a bit curious as to how patents fit into this scheme. One the one hand,
it is clearly good to protect the investment that went into an invention
(both "dollars" and the investment of self, which of course all is
"property"). On the other hand, a patent seems to deny someone else the
permission to make the same investment and make the same invention.

Frank