 Off-Topic / Debate / 4765
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:23:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Karim Nassar writes:

I'm not just generalizing randomly here... every person I know who
is Christian has at some point made a point of trying to steer me towards
conversion... even when I tell them before hand that I am not interested).

Hmm.  When's the last time Sproat tried to convert you?

I haven't ever tried to convert Karim.

Wow, James... :) In my entire very carefully worded post, you've managed to
pick out the one exageration... but an unintentional one.  Perhaps what I
should have said is: "every person I have known personally and interacted with
regularly on a personal basis who is actively Christian has at some point made
a point of trying to steer me towards conversion." [now, I *think* that
statement plugs all the loopholes :) ]

No, Jeremy has never tried to convert me.  Nor have many, many people who I
know at school and at work who are Christians... But when I do begin to
interact with them on a more personal level (outside of work, or class, or
whatever) I will invariably be invited to attend church with them, or come to a
bible study, or they will steer conversation towards moral beliefs. Jeremy and
I have never really discussed anything besides Lego until this thread, and I
don't figure this discussion as him (or anyone else) trying to convert me,
because I wandered into this myself.

Also, Please note that I am not generally offended by the above, unless it
continues after I have made my feelings clear.  This is one area in which I
appreciate the Mormon attitude... once my oppinions were known, none of my
Mormon friends ever bugged me about it... Jeremy, once again correct me if I'm
mis-characterizing your beliefs, but I gather that due to the LDS belief in
retroactive baptism by proxy (yes, yes, I KNOW that's not the right
terminology), they are in no great hurry to convert me... :)

Where I do take offense is in the realm of religious groups infringing on my
freedoms and those of my children. The fact that the Religious Right is
gradually succeeding in removing real science from and re-writing the
curriculum of public schools in America is personally terrifying to me.  It
should be to all of you.  When I have children I fully intend to homeschool
them, because I don't want their minds twisted by the so-called "education"
that is becoming prevailent in public schools in this region of the country.

--Karim