 Off-Topic / Debate / 4768
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:40:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Karim Nassar writes:
Jeremy, once again correct me if I'm
mis-characterizing your beliefs, but I gather that due to the LDS belief in
retroactive baptism by proxy (yes, yes, I KNOW that's not the right
terminology), they are in no great hurry to convert me... :)

LOL -- yes, baptism for the dead.  It's generally done for family members,
however, though it can be done for anybody within reason.  In fact, Elvis',
JFK's, and others' names has been thrown out of the roll many times; once is
enough.  :-,

Essentially, our baptism is an act which needs to be performed in this life,
in order to confer the blessing of the Holy Ghost, and to wipe clean any sins
committed prior to baptism in preparation for a fresh start.  It's important
enough in my faith that it is performed by proxy for those who have departed
without a baptism.

Cheers,
- jsproat