 Off-Topic / Debate / 4544
    Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods? —Markus Wolf
   (...) I knew that somehow you could boil it down to a mechanical apparatus if you wanted to. But in my heart I've gotta believe that we're more than just really sophisticated amoebas (no nitpicking please!) There are truths that supersede science (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods? —Richard Marchetti
   (...) I think the more we build up the idea of love, the more disappointed we are in how it plays out in reality. By accepting a more science-based view, I feel I have something closer to the truth of it and I am therefore not disappointed in my (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods? —Markus Wolf
   (...) But I think you're limiting yourself by settling for such low expectations of love. Not to sound psychological, but if you're protecting yourself from being hurt, then your protecting yourself from the joy that could possibly come too. Of (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods? —Richard Marchetti
   (...) I think this is an interesting thing for you to say. If memory serves, you are paraphrasing Paul (1 Corinthians 13? Except in King James it says "charity" instead of "love"). The difference is that Paul was talking about God's love for (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods? —Markus Wolf
   (...) Well, my friend,, you got the right passage but you better re-read it. My paraphrase (actually my best recollection from the New International version) is not merely God's love for humanity. But you are correct that love in it's purest form (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)