 Off-Topic / Debate / 4411
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 20:13:50 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
Whether or not other deities exist is an entirely different
argument.
Yes, but what about whether or not this 'deity', aka God, exists?
That's a great question!  But more than that, what I wanna know is whether
God (THE God):
(a) admits that other deities exist and disallows their worship, or
(b) disavows the existance of other deities, or
(c) whether His answer to that would be "splunge."

Consider this:  Lucifer was an angel before his fall, and one of the
brightest.  Literally, the son of the morning.  (1)  After his fall, he has
been working diligently towards thwarting all that is good, promoting
politics, etc.

But even after his fall, his powers are *still* significant.  And he didn't go
alone; he took a bunch with him into banishment.  I figure at least a few of
those fallen angels were nearly as powerful as Lucifer as well.  While they
aren't necessarily world-creating gods, they certainly have a nearly-god-like
influence over our lives.  So yes, compared to you and me, they are powerful
and arguably gods of some type.

And then, you have the point of view where, through some magic of translation,
"don't let anything else rule your life" in Aramic became "thou shalt not have
any gods before me" in olde English.  So don't worship, say, basketball over
God.  I believe Peter Callaway touched upon this earlier in this thread.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  King James Bible, Isiah 14:12

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society