 Off-Topic / Debate / 4412
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 20:14:23 GMT

Ben Roller wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
God didn't abandon us, we abandonned him.
  No, we got kicked out for breaking a rule.  God, as I interpret the story,
didn't want Adam to become immortal so He put him out of reach of the other
tree.  One could even say that God lied to them and that the serpent was the
one telling the truth (God said they'd die, but they didn't).

No no no no no...  :-,

God basically told Adam and Eve, "eat of any of the fruit in the garden,
except for the fruit of *that* tree over there, or you'll die, so don't even
touch it" (i.e. eating the forbidden fruit made them mortal.)  To which Satan
replied, "you won't die but actually you'll become like the gods, knowing good
from evil".  (1)

It was Satan who lied, at least partially, to get Eve to munch on that apple.
And, eventually, Adam and Eve did die.  (2)

Does God wear clothes?  Genesis talks about Adam becoming like God (or a god)
and realizing that he was naked...does that mean that God is not naked?

Good question...  Considering that clothes provide two functions, protection
from the elements and modesty, and that God most likely wouldn't need
protection from the elements, I would guess that He would wear clothing for
the sake of modesty.

But wow, good question.  I have never thought of that before.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  King James Bible, Genesis 3:2-5

2.  ibid., 5:3  Well, Adam is said to have died, anyway.

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society