 Off-Topic / Debate / 4357
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 02:52:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Patricia Schempp writes:

Oh...don't get me started on separation of church and state.

Or me either.
You Americans don't know how lucky you are to at least have SOME degree of
separation between the two.

In Israel the two are totally mixed, wisted and intertwined to a horrible and
utterly disgusting mess.

The orthodox Jews have their own party, that is currently at large and yet
growing. They put religion into EVERYTHING, and enforce their beliefs upon
others.
For example, store owners in Kibbutzes (1) are *required* to close their shops
every Saturday, and other stores are mostly closed on Sats as well. Now, this
might seem like not such a big deal, but Saturday is the only weekend-day in
Israel (Sunday being a regular weekday). For less-religious people, this is
the best day to go shopping, and shops lose loads of potential business due to
this. There were huge debates over this last year, religious parties took the
matter to the Supreme court and lots of people were enraged.

Another example, the religious parties managed to pass a rule that closes some
streets near the Bar-Ilan university every weekend.

Not to mention the totally mandatory learning of the Bible (well, the old
testament as christians call it). Everyone has Torah/Bible classes from 2nd
grade all through middle school. Then in high-school you get to 'choose' -
whether you want to take Bible in an enriched class. Every student is required
to take the Tanach (bible) Matriculation tests (2) whether they like it or not.

These are only a few examples. A lot of non-religious jews (the majority of
the country is, in fact, not very religious) are extremely pissed off by the
involvement of religion with state, my family and I being some of them...

He's a
character.  He also just had his 23rd birthday yesterday, making him 92.

Sounds like a fun great-uncle ;)

-Shiri

(1) Villages in which people live collectively, sort of small-scale
communism... used to be a very common settlement type as the country was
starting out, not so much anymore tho'.

(2) The matriculation tests are mandatory in subjects like Math, English,
Bible, World History and more. At least one science is required as well. You
cannot graduate high-school without completing these.
The matriculation scores are basically the only thing colleges pay attention
to, other than an SAT-equivalent test that isn't mandatory (but is if you
wanna go to college :)