 Off-Topic / Debate / 4358
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 02:58:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
Not to mention the totally mandatory learning of the Bible (well, the old
testament as christians call it). Everyone has Torah/Bible classes from 2nd
grade all through middle school. Then in high-school you get to 'choose' -
whether you want to take Bible in an enriched class. Every student is required
to take the Tanach (bible) Matriculation tests (2) whether they like it or
not.

Err, just to make myself clear - I don't mind teaching the bible, as long as
it is taught as a foundation to our country (Israel) and not as a practice we
should all believe in. I also believe that it should not be enforced after
grade school (elementary, grades 2-6), but rathar given as a choice.

I liked my third-grade teacher's approach - while we learned about the ten
Egypt Makot (Blood, frogs and the rest, don't know the english word) she also
explained to us what scientists today believe might've caused them, as with
the 'seperation' of the red sea.

(2) The matriculation tests are mandatory in subjects like Math, English,
Bible, World History and more. At least one science is required as well. You
cannot graduate high-school without completing these.
The matriculation scores are basically the only thing colleges pay attention
to, other than an SAT-equivalent test that isn't mandatory (but is if you
wanna go to college :)

-Shiri