 Off-Topic / Debate / 4359
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 04:07:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Ah, but the Ten Commandments are MORE than an example of the basic
principles, here they are for reference:

   1 - Thou shalt have no other God's before me.

Hmm, I never thought about this one too much before the MS vs. DOJ case, but
does this mean that there are in fact other gods besides "God" and that He
desires to cultivate and maintain a monopoly in His target market?

--Todd

What it means is that whatever is primary in our lives is our god. For some
people it is money, or power, property, sex, popularity, image, relationships,
........., even LEGO. It could be a combination of any of these things or a
different one each day, or each minute. If your primary focus is on something
else, then it's not on God. And yes it can also be extended to the worship of
other "deities" which was alot more wide spread when the 10 Commandments were
originally written than it is today, not to say that it is any less
meaningful. Whether or not other deities exist is an entirely different
argument.

Pete Callaway