 Off-Topic / Debate / 4339
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:15:15 GMT

I suggest anyone who wants more insight into what the founding fathers
intended, check out this site:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7970/jefpcont.htm

In particular reference to the posting of the Ten Comandments, here is
one little quote from the article on relion:

The religious dogmas of specific, sectarian churches should
not enter into the public discussion of issues that affect the whole of society.

   "Reading, reflection and time have convinced me that the
   interests of society require the observation of those
   moral precepts only in which all religions agree (for all
   forbid us to steal, murder, plunder, or bear false witness),
   and that we should not intermeddle with the particular
   dogmas in which all religions differ, and which are
   totally unconnected with morality." --Thomas Jefferson to
   J. Fishback, 1809.

To me this suggests that TJ would speak against posting of the Ten
Comandments in any way which would imply government endorsement of them.
Note that TJ is the author of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom
(which I think pre-dates the Bill of Rights [so I'm a bot lazy - I
should verify the timeline]).

On the other hand, I see absolutely nothing wrong with libraries
containing religious texts, however, they must be accepted on criteria
which is not based on religion.

Another interesting one:

Religious use and practice was not to be the criteria for
determining what is or is not lawful.

   "Whatsoever is lawful in the Commonwealth or permitted
   to the subject in the ordinary way cannot be forbidden
   to him for religious uses; and whatsoever is prejudicial
   to the Commonwealth in their ordinary uses and, therefore,
   prohibited by the laws, ought not to be permitted to
   churches in their sacred rites." --Thomas Jefferson:
   Notes on Religion, 1776.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com