 Off-Topic / Debate / 4345
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 21:51:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
I suggest anyone who wants more insight into what the founding fathers
intended, check out this site:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7970/jefpcont.htm

Awesome, thanks.

In particular reference to the posting of the Ten Comandments, here is
one little quote from the article on religion:

   "Reading, reflection and time have convinced me that the
   interests of society require the observation of those
   moral precepts only in which all religions agree (for all
   forbid us to steal, murder, plunder, or bear false witness),
   and that we should not intermeddle with the particular
   dogmas in which all religions differ, and which are
   totally unconnected with morality." --Thomas Jefferson to
   J. Fishback, 1809.

To me this suggests that TJ would speak against posting of the Ten
Comandments in any way which would imply government endorsement of them.
Note that TJ is the author of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom
(which I think pre-dates the Bill of Rights [so I'm a bot lazy - I
should verify the timeline]).

I don't see that interpretation. He says nothing of endorsing, he mentions
observing moral precepts accepted by all religions - which I also mentioned in
my original comments:

The fact that we gather in to groups and universally come up with very similar
laws to govern ourselves is evidence of a law outside ourselves.

The ten commandments are a concise example of these basic principles. He
mentions these "precepts" in the context of governing society which equals
legislation. As I said before, posting the ten commandments is not endorsing or
mandating anything. Separation regards mandating a state religion. Again, that
"some" of the founders advocated a particular religion is clear, and does not
constitute a mandate. I am not for endorsing a particular religion, I am merely
defending the posting of the commandments and the teaching of creation which is
the only other viable alternative to evolution which is also a theory and
therefore faith-based.

Bill