 Off-Topic / Debate / 4338
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:17:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Patricia Schempp writes:

Oh...don't get me started on separation of church and state.  Some recent
steps in this country like posting the ten commandments in schools and
teaching creationism are complete violations of this in my opinion.

Hear, hear.

Creationism isn't science, it's a tool for making converts to
Christianity.  Similarly, posting the Ten Commandments in schools
proclaims that authority comes from god ("thou shalt have no
other gods before me").

I just want to make some quick points in the "off-topic" record:

"Atheism" is a straw man. It is usually used to mean Nihilist--someone
who denies everything. But it only means you don't believe in any gods
at all. There is no such thing as an "Atheist code of behavior" and
you can't lump all your enemies together with such a word. Still,
religionists believe that there is no way to have morality without a
god. This has to challenged. But most "secular humanist" philosophies are
just religious ideas wrapped up in fancy words to edit out god--so they
are still based on faith, and especially self-sacrifice. This, too, is a
mistake.

I think that most Christians are aware of only two alternatives, either
their tradition or the kind of empty-headed bureaucrat world pictured
by C.S. Lewis (in _That Hideous Strength_ for example.)

The religious roots of the US are not the cause of the US as you claim they are.
American ideals were, and are, this-worldly, secular, happy and self-reliant,
not mystical, humble, or dogmatic.  Washington and Jefferson are a long way
from the Pilgrims (who recreated much of what they supposedly escaped.)
The US is a result of Enlightenment political philosophy, which was an
outgrowth of the scientific world view--not the Bible. If you read the letters
of the Founding Fathers, there is not a whole lot of religion there. Instead,
they are peppered with "treasonous" statements like "My mind is my own church"

Finally, who came up with this dumb analogy? This really gets around:

Bill wrote:
things like Columbine? Animals do these types of things. It's normal for
animals to do these types of things.

Silly. Animals kill weaker animals to eat them! Stop calling the
animals sinful, too. It's right for the lions to eat the lambs, but animals
are not suicidal maniacs.

-Erik

P.S. I might have had something relevant to Mormons but I forgot what it was.