 Off-Topic / Debate / 4082
Re: Blair Witch Project - Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:35:37 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote:

< Snipped John and Adams Discussion of Blair Witch for clarity and
length >

   Someone wrote down that God said he doesn't "rank" sins (and whoever was
in charge of it, put that in the Bible).  To me this says that God doesn't
see a distinction between lesser and greater evil, merely that he sees evil,
and he really does not like it!

This is what my pastor is saying, and I tend to believe that myself.
Since God (At least, in Christian and Jewish beliefs ) is without sin,
any sin, no matter how trivial and not important to us it might be, it
is still separates ourselves from Him, and therefore, we need
redemption, through Jesus Christ, or the sacrifice, from the Old
testament.

I'm pretty sick of it myself.

Yes, indeed. It will always be part of mankind, and I think we will all
struggle with it.

Now, truly,
I don't know a single provable fact about God (or witchcraft for that
matter), but I would venture to say that judging the severity of evils could
be misguided, could in fact be evil.  I think thats what the guy who wrote
that part in the Bible was thinking.  He might have been onto something.
Or... he might have been on something.

One wonders sometimes! :)

Who was better off? I can't say. As much as it hurt, I'm glad I saw the
movie; it forced me to face some issues I wouldn't have otherwise done
in terms of recognizing the difference between lesser and greater evil.
And I wouldn't wish the same process on anyone.

   Hmm.  I have been going through a great deal of this myself over the past
few years, on and off, you know.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Sorry for all the cliches, but sometimes they just sound right.  I'd like to
know that other people haven't suspended reality, despite the pain endured.
I, of course, think that's their choice, too.  I may not have been through
the roughest ordeals yet... I may not survive those, but I enjoy the
learning process, highs and lows (obviously after reaching that new summit,
but not during the climb).

I am with you there, John. I think all mankind has high and low points,
I have a few scars myself, and i think I am stronger, and a better
person because of it.

No, I guess it was a painful thing for you. It was for me as well, but
it showed me that the power of evil (Donkey) is ever present, and can do
horrible things.

  Amen to that Scott!  And thanks for the great new depiction of the devil!

Thanks, John! :)

I would have preferred to have been able to learn that without having
had "to go through that". :)  I'd like to think I can do that now.

   See Shawshank Redemption???  It was worth it!!!  No pain, no gain.
Growth is a true miracle, IMO.   Sometimes you gotta go through hell to get
to heaven.

Awesome movie. Even my fiancee saw that movie, even though see dislikes
Stephen King. Probably the best movie I have seen from him. It was a
movie that I connected with myself, that has broad possibilities for
many different subjects.

Scott S.

Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com