 Off-Topic / Debate / 3927
Re: Blair Witch Project - Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:35:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
My friend rented this movie this weekend, and after watching, I can't
seem to find what the big deal was. I saw some parodies on it, and the
actual movie was just stupid. I was actually rooting for whatever killed
the filmmakers at the end. Does anyone know anything about this, or was
it just over hyped?

As with many movies like this, the mindset you have while watching makes or
ruins the experience.  I first saw the movie on opening night at the midnight
showing at my favorite theater back home.  I had seen very little
commentary on the film (I didn't see the hype special on Discovery, but I
hear it made the experience even better) and noone in the theatre had seen the
film (as this was the first showing).  The tension built throughout the whole
movie and during the final scenes most of the audience was scared for the main
characters.

The second time I saw the movie was here in my college town at the local dollar
theatre.  Most of the audience had already seen the movie, and almost everyone
had seen countless ads, clips and commentary about the making of the film.
When you are really "into" the movie, the scenes in the woods are scary.  When
you are not, they are silly.  At every little suspenseful moment, the second
audience laughed and broke all of the tension.  In the end, people were
laughing, and as you say, they were hoping for an untimely end to the stars.

Ultimately, I liked the movie the first time I saw it.  The second time was
very dissapointing.  The difference was my mindset and the atmosphere of the
place.  I felt sorry for my friends who were seeing it for the first time since
they missed out on the good experience.  I would think that seeing the movie on
video, now, would make it very difficult to enjoy the story.  Probably what
ruined it in this particular case was that you'd seen all of the parodies.

Hope that helps clear it up.  Anyone else have any comments on this?

Ben Roller