 Off-Topic / Debate / 4006
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:37:28 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

The point I see constantly getting missed, and maybe I've not made it well
enough (Larry, help me if I'm confused here), is that while the CEO is
ultimately responsible, he also has the option of making an appropriate
response to whatever problem is at hand, and avoiding a personal lawsuit or
a criminal trial.

I think you're doing fine. We seem to be getting forced into an invalid
either-or trap.

Your opposition is taking the "Either the CEO is personally liable for
everything or no one is" tack, it seems to me. And that's just not so.

No, actually.  Try "Either the CEO is personally liable for everything or the
company is."  I have no problems with the concept of a group of people being
responsible, as a group, for what they do.

Companies that make mistakes without being negligent, own up to it, and
do everything they can to rectify them are going to do just fine in
libertopia. Yes, they'll have to pay some damages but they've already
shown (if we stick to the examples James posed) that they stand ready to
do so.

Putting the CEO in jail is a last resort that one uses to get the
attention of a seriously malfeasant corporate administration.

And I would say that if you are dealing with a "seriously malfeasant corporate
administration" then all jailing a CEO is going to do is make them fire the
CEO, and keep on being malfeasant without him.

Now if you're advocating punishing the CEO when he doesn't enact the court-
ordered restitution, *THAT'S* a completely difference kettle of fish.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/