 Off-Topic / Debate / 3996
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:10:46 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

The point I see constantly getting missed, and maybe I've not made it well
enough (Larry, help me if I'm confused here), is that while the CEO is
ultimately responsible, he also has the option of making an appropriate
response to whatever problem is at hand, and avoiding a personal lawsuit or
a criminal trial.

I think you're doing fine. We seem to be getting forced into an invalid
either-or trap.

Your opposition is taking the "Either the CEO is personally liable for
everything or no one is" tack, it seems to me. And that's just not so.
Companies that make mistakes without being negligent, own up to it, and
do everything they can to rectify them are going to do just fine in
libertopia. Yes, they'll have to pay some damages but they've already
shown (if we stick to the examples James posed) that they stand ready to
do so.

Putting the CEO in jail is a last resort that one uses to get the
attention of a seriously malfeasant corporate administration.

I assert that in a climate of personal responsibility that libertopia is
going to foster, most companies are going to do the right thing for a
number of reasons... among them, that it's the right thing to do, that
it's good PR, that when the shoe is on the other foot that's what they'd
want, that it is what their owners will demand, and, lastly and least
importantly, to keep the CEO and his subordinates out of jail.

It really comes down to this fundamental question that you and I are
over and done with... are people inherently bad? We say no, they're not.
They are inherently good and I just don't buy that if we set society up
right, that we aren't going to get mostly good behaviour with only a
little bad. So little that it will be controllable, for the most part

The opposition, on the other hand, basically hates themselves because
they say people are bad. To me that says a lot about your own self
esteem if you think everyone is bad. Why are you so down on yourself and
everyone else? Why not be happy?

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!