 Off-Topic / Debate / 4046
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 22:43:40 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:10:46 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Your opposition is taking the "Either the CEO is personally liable for
everything or no one is" tack, it seems to me. And that's just not so.

Try "either the CEO is personally liable for everything his
subordinates do, or those people actually committing the mistakes
are".

Companies that make mistakes without being negligent, own up to it, and
do everything they can to rectify them are going to do just fine in
libertopia. Yes, they'll have to pay some damages but they've already
shown (if we stick to the examples James posed) that they stand ready to
do so.

What if "some damages" comes out to more than they can pay? In the
majhority of cases, this is in fact the case. Only the ultra-large
multinational companies (which will, of course, under this system,
resettle in the EU, China, or Japan...) can sustain multi-million
dollar settlements, let alone Pinto-like Billion-dollar-settlements.

I assert that in a climate of personal responsibility that libertopia is
going to foster, most companies are going to do the right thing for a
number of reasons... among them, that it's the right thing to do, that

It already is the right thing to do.

it's good PR, that when the shoe is on the other foot that's what they'd
want, that it is what their owners will demand, and, lastly and least

These are already all the case.

importantly, to keep the CEO and his subordinates out of jail.

Since the only new thing is the jailing of the CEOs, that must be what
you see as working this change. You're wiggling.

It really comes down to this fundamental question that you and I are
over and done with... are people inherently bad? We say no, they're not.
They are inherently good and I just don't buy that if we set society up
right, that we aren't going to get mostly good behaviour with only a
little bad. So little that it will be controllable, for the most part

The opposition, on the other hand, basically hates themselves because
they say people are bad. To me that says a lot about your own self
esteem if you think everyone is bad. Why are you so down on yourself and
everyone else? Why not be happy?

Christ, man, go take a psychology class or something and come back to
this then. Or if you've already had one, untake it, cause you've
learnt entirely the wrong set of pseudo-scientific psychobabble.

Jasper