 Off-Topic / Debate / 4008
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:55:05 GMT

James Brown wrote in message ...
Putting the CEO in jail is a last resort that one uses to get the
attention of a seriously malfeasant corporate administration.

And I would say that if you are dealing with a "seriously malfeasant • corporate
administration" then all jailing a CEO is going to do is make them fire the
CEO, and keep on being malfeasant without him.

Well, you may ultimately have to jail more that the CEO. I wish I could
remember more. I seem to remember a recent case where a company officer was
jailed because the company wouldn't do what the court ordered, and wans't a
newspaper editor recently put in jail for not releasing the name of an
source (though I think that case was on very shaky grounds, newspapers do
need some freedom to keep their sources confidential, and the court must
find that lives are at risk, or some other equaly significant danger, before
they are forced to divulge information like that, the same protections need
to be extended to anyone whose job is to consult with people about the
situations they find themselves in [lawyers, clergy, doctors, psychiatrists,
whatever])?

Now if you're advocating punishing the CEO when he doesn't enact the court-
ordered restitution, *THAT'S* a completely difference kettle of fish.

Well, that is what we're talking about, and I admit, we haven't done very
well at describing that.

Frank