 Off-Topic / Debate / 4005
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:34:12 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote in message <389057B0.D972D535@eclipse.net>...
I don't personally think that courts should dictate who can do what job.
That's over the line of too much interference _for me_.  Similar with
dictating how a company should operate.  If they don't do an efficient
job, the market will weed them out.  If they don't do a safe job, the
courts and the market will weed them out.  And, unlike Frank (and most
of you, I presume), I'm also uncomfortable with slavery (jail terms).
For this one I'm not sure what should replace them, but I know that the
use of slavery to the state as a punishment bugs me.  (Slavery in a
limited form to a person against who they have committed crimes doesn't
bother me to the same degree.)

Two comments. First, what do you propose to do with the (few) people who
absolutely refuse to follow the rules of the society they participate in? At
some point, putting someone in jail seems required (and to be honest, I can
even see a very small window where the death penalty may be warranted - if
someone has proven themselves so far out of society, and has proven that if
they get any opportunity to, they will kill, I can see where it could reach
the point where the probability that one or more people will die in the
future because of this individual is so close to one, that the only way to
reduce the probability is to terminate the person's life). Second, I think
that in a Libertarian society, the only reason someone in jail would be
forced to work (and there should be limits on how much force can be used),
is to make restitution to the victims (and the victims include anyone who
has contributed to however the police and justice system is funded to the
extent of the cost of dealing with the criminal). The state won't be doing
things like building roads using taxes (now the state might build roads
using user fees - I think there is value to "public" roadways), so there is
no reason for the criminals to be offsetting some of those taxes.

Frank