 Off-Topic / Debate / 4025
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:14:59 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

And, unlike Frank (and most
of you, I presume), I'm also uncomfortable with slavery (jail terms).
For this one I'm not sure what should replace them, but I know that the
use of slavery to the state as a punishment bugs me.  (Slavery in a
limited form to a person against who they have committed crimes doesn't
bother me to the same degree.)

Two comments. First, what do you propose to do with the (few) people who
absolutely refuse to follow the rules of the society they participate in?

As clearly stated above, I don't know.  If someone were hell-bent on
murder, I suppose they should be put down and parted out to pay for the
whole affair - or their assets given to the kin of the victims.  I
suppose there should be some method of determining who gets rights, and
who doesn't.

At
some point, putting someone in jail seems required (and to be honest, I can

Maybe, but I don't see how it'll do any good.  I guess a work camp could
pay off the victims, but it's hard to see such an endevour actually
breaking even.

Second, I think
that in a Libertarian society, the only reason someone in jail would be
forced to work (and there should be limits on how much force can be used),

This seems wishy-washy, but I might still agree.  It seems like if
they're going to be assigned as slaves to repay their debt, then they
should be slaves and there should be few limits on how they're forced to
work.  Limits similar to those placed on how one forces a horse or dog
to work.

The state won't be doing
things like building roads using taxes (now the state might build roads
using user fees - I think there is value to "public" roadways)

Why the state as opposed to some other organization?

so there is no reason for the criminals to be offsetting some of
those taxes.

I don't get what you're saying here.

Chris