 Off-Topic / Debate / 3980
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:45:07 GMT

James Brown wrote in message ...
If the employee just left a company party drunk, the CEO is probably
responsible (this will hinge on how the company was involved in promoting • the
party, a bunch of guys who exchange e-mails at work to go out to a bar • after
work doesn't count, if the secretary invites you to the boss's house, I • would
say that is a work related function).

Yoiks!  So if I go to my boss' house, tanked to the gills but very good at
hiding it, he's responsible when I kill someone on the way home?

I didn't say "is responsible", I said "is probably responsible." In this
case, perhaps not, however, anyone having the opportunity to observe that
someone is drunk does carry some responsibility to prevent the drunk from
doing harm. The problems of drunk driving are one reason I'm not sure that
companies should be serving alcohol (and if they aren't serving alcohol,
their responsibility for a drunk goes WAY down, though again, not
necessarily to zero).

Maybe I'm reading this completely wrong, but this is how it comes across: • "If
we can't actually find out who's fault this is, we'll blame that guy."

Assuming the company is at fault, the CEO is ultimately responsible.

If the CEO is not responsible for EVERYTHING done by the company, what the
heck is he responsible for?

Anything he can be proven to have a hand in.

So all the CEO has to do to avoid responsibility is make sure he doesn't
know enough details to be responsible? Thank you, but I won't be buying
stock in that company. Where is the accountability as to how the company is
run? Responsibility for "accidents" is no different than responsibility for
the financial aspects of the company.

And again, I don't have a problem with people getting charged with things • they
are SHOWN to be responsible for.  What I hear people saying is (in relation • to
the above) "we have investigating this employee snapping, and can find no
single discernable cause, therefore, it's the CEO's fault."

Well, if an investigation turns up no reason an employee snapped that is
related to the company, the company isn't at fault, and by extension, the
CEO isn't at fault.

Frank