 Off-Topic / Debate / 3319
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:18:04 GMT

Dunno about you, but I LIKE art. I think its a shame that good art is
being driven out by bad. But that's what you get when you toss free
money around. Crud. I'm belligerent towards the NEA and the polarizing
effect public funding has on free expression, not towards art.

   Aw, Larry, you had me right along with you up till this bit.  Well, I'm
still mostly with you, but a considerable problem with art today--and this
isn't just confined to our fine nation--is the predominant aesthetic trend as
much as any dubious endowments by our government.  Worse, it must be said that
a "free" artistic market doesn't guarantee good art any more than the NEA
does.  Bad art which is popular will sell and propogate, while good art which
is not popular will not sell.  Danielle Steele outsells Cormac McCarthy, but
she's hardly a better (or even credible) artist.

     Dave!