 Off-Topic / Debate / 3483
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:50:15 GMT

<FnxK4w.Gt1@lugnet.com> <3874FDA7.2043@mindspring.com>

Frank Filz wrote:

Dave Schuler wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Borders Books and Barns and Noble go out
of buisiness in the next 50 years, because the good books won't be sold
by them, and even the bad books will be sold over the internet, all
directly by the author.

  Maybe, but the only way that'll happen is if paper books are eliminated,
which I don't think will happen until some kind of copy-prevention can be
deployed to protect electronic books.  Even so, the cost, effort, and
logistics of putting a book together and marketing it will guarantee
publishers a piece of the pie for the foreseeable future.

People who write worthwhile material will be supported irrespective of
ability to copy protect their work. In fact, ultimately, the consumers
will protect the works (why should I let you read my copy of XYZ, when
you can download it yourself, and chose to pay what you think it is
worth [Todd - if you're reading, and willing to divulge, what is the
average pledge to Lugnet?]). The logistics of internet distribution are
trivial compared to the effort required to create the work in the first
place. Marketting is also trivial (Todd - how much have you spent on
marketting Lugnet?).

Just an aside:  The computer "revolution" and the much-touted paperless office
in fact led to the paper consumption of the US *quadrupling* between 1984 and
1994.  Nah, paper will always be with us, as will books--these are just new
options.  There's also just a certain feel and heft to a book that your computer
can't replicate (yet).

best,

LFB