 Off-Topic / Debate / 3482
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:44:08 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Salm writes:
Hear, Hear!!!   Time to vote.  Who is in favor of un-funding all federal art
subsidies??  It sure gets my vote.  I prefer starving artists who have to work
a little bit at their trade and thus, create much better art.

I disagree with the sentiment that suffering creates better art, or that worthy
art can only be created by those willing to suffer a bit for it.

Are some of the amazing LEGO creations and sculptures on LUGNET not examples of
worthy art created without pain or suffering? (1)

Not bloody likely--I can't tell you how many times I've hurt myself separating
large plates.

If private individuals wish to contribute to artists I have no complaint but
when taxpayers are forced to pay for art and artists that may be
undeserving then it is time to stop the liberal, beauracratic money train
before it can leave the (metro)station.

My point is - why pick on art when there are many more possibilities for
saving money, many of which don't give as much pleasure as art can?

I also find it peculiar that a country in economic boom should feel beligerent
towards art in this way.

When conditions are relatively good, we go after that which unsettles us.  It's
natural, and art funding believes in a certain amount of liberal humanism, so it's
an easy target.  Here's a Handy Home Experiment:  Submit an FOIA request (of low
security clearance, naturally) to both the DoD and the NEA, and see who's more
forthcoming.  Time to disband the standing military; unproductive laborers all!

If you were arguing that the money could be used for education or to fight
against poverty, then I might agree with you.. as it is then a question of
priorities. If it's a question of keeping art subsidies or paying less tax (34
cents per person?) then I vote for art, but by all means employ good art
commisioners!

See above--they do.  But every human endeavour is fallible, so...

(1) Lack of b---k s--------s and juniorisation excepted [deletions mine]

*smack* You said it!  *That which cannot be named*!  ;)

best,

LFB