 Off-Topic / Debate / 3481
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:37:43 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Although I agree with Kevin (how could I not, he's agreeing with me) I
am honor bound to point out:

Kevin Salm wrote:
I prefer starving artists who have to work
a little bit at their trade and thus, create much better art.

that the starving artists I see on TV (you know, on those 1/2 hour ads
and such) seem to produce mostly Elvis on velvet... :-) Not that there's
anything wrong with that!

Interestingly, that's a case of your almighty market defining what art is
meritorious.  When we get a black-velvet Rembrandt analogue, I'll concede it
as a good development--until then, I'm firmly in the corner of mixed-source
funding.  The idea that an artist must "starve" to produce "better" art is
more than a little questionable--as is the idea that an artist hasn't
suffered before the NEA and the supposed "handouts" came along.

best,

LFB