 Off-Topic / Debate / 3755
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:15:43 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
The idea that an artist must "starve" to produce "better" art is
more than a little questionable.

I certainly question it. Fortunately it's not what I've been saying.
What I have an issue with is rather the artist who is not willing to
suffer, but instead feels the world owes him funding as his due, for
deigning to have decided to be an artist.

No one should be judged on whether they suffered before producing art,
but I by gosh am going to judge on whether they were willing to if they
needed to. If they weren't, there isn't much there that needs saying by
that particular artist.

And I, unlike you, do not see velvet Elvis paintings as arguments for
public funding, merely as arguments for a market that can provide both
that and more sublime things. A lot of public funded art is more like a
velvet Elvis than it is like a Monet, and THAT's my biggest beef of all.
I happen to like velvet paintings, pink flamingoes AND Monets, each in
their proper place.