 Off-Topic / Debate / 3339
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 21:44:07 GMT

<FnxK4w.Gt1@lugnet.com> <3874FDA7.2043@mindspring.com> <FnxMM8.6Av@lugnet.com>

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
People who write worthwhile material will be supported irrespective of
ability to copy protect their work. In fact, ultimately, the consumers
will protect the works (why should I let you read my copy of XYZ, when
you can download it yourself, and chose to pay what you think it is
worth).

  Where and when is this magical land?  And how does one get there, because
clearly this philosophy has little to do with the state of the market today,
or of any time in the past four centuries, since the concept of authorship
came to the fore.  Why are there copyright laws if "authors will be supported
irrespective of ability to copy protect their work"?  Or will copyright laws
cease to exist in the face of this enchanted "protect-the-artist" sentiment?
If I'm making a living on writing, I certainly don't want to rely on the
kindness of strangers to ensure that my electronic book isn't sent all over
the Internet for free.

My assertion is that the mass market stores are going to be pushing such
drek, that those looking for real works of art will search for, and find
it on the internet. They will be willing to pay the authors to keep the
material coming. Again, I refer you to Lugnet. We don't have to pay a
red cent to use Lugnet, yet how many people have joined Lugnet just
because they want to support Todd's efforts?

The logistics of internet distribution are trivial compared to the effort
required to create the work in the first place. Marketting is also trivial
(Todd - how much have you spent on marketting Lugnet?).

  And how many people have read the Lugnet Novel?  The logistics of marketing
an essentially free website among those who were already aware of it (namely,
AFOL's) is trivial compared to the effort of marketing a book or painting.  No
disrespect to Todd, but the two issues are hardly the same, especially
considering that Todd's front page asserts its non-profit status.

Again, the effort of marketting is minor. I found Lugnet within days of
coming out of the closet as an AFOL. I don't recall seeing a single paid
add by Todd.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com