 Off-Topic / Debate / 3341
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 21:56:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
My assertion is that the mass market stores are going to be pushing such
drek, that those looking for real works of art will search for, and find
it on the internet. They will be willing to pay the authors to keep the
material coming. Again, I refer you to Lugnet. We don't have to pay a
red cent to use Lugnet, yet how many people have joined Lugnet just
because they want to support Todd's efforts?

  I understand your assertion, and I still assert that it has little reference
to reality.  Your analogy with Lugnet is likewise still flawed.

Again, the effort of marketting is minor. I found Lugnet within days of
coming out of the closet as an AFOL. I don't recall seeing a single paid
add by Todd.

  Okay, then, how much money has Todd made on Lugnet?  Enough to support
himself with no other income?  In addition, Lugnet is a forum, not a novel, so
user participation occurs at a different rate for Todd than for a novelist.
Further, since electronic novels _would_ be copied and distributed freely, and
Lugnet has not been, you must recognize that any author who distributed his
work online as his sole source of income would quickly go broke.

     Dave!