 Off-Topic / Debate / 3340
Re: Art! or Not Art!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 21:54:31 GMT

Wasn't this painting found on the wall of Goya's hovel after his death? It
doesn't seem likely to me that Goya would've censored his own painting to
avoid offending himself.  Additionally, I studied this painting in an Art
History course, and I never heard that story, which leads me to conclude that
either my prof hadn't heard it (because she loved dishing scoop on the art
world) or that it's baseless.

Perhaps.  If you'd like to check on the reference, find
"No Go the Bogeyman" by Marina Warner in your library, and
look up the painting in the book's index.  I think I recall the book
being well-documented with footnotes and references, and if it was,
hopefully Warner provided a reference for this claim.

--

jthompson@esker.com    "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"